Thursday, January 29, 2015

Weird stuff! One of the starfish I described will be a....TOY???? #EchinoblogInJapan2015

Back in 2003,  I described this very ODD deep-sea starfish. Astrosarkus idipi, a weird and HUGE sea star which had a pretty weird body plan.. You can read my full post about it here.  It occurs in relatively deep-water and is pretty big. About the size of a pumpkin. This species was honored by Quentin Wheeler & Sara Pennak as one of the world's most amazing 100 species! 


My Japanese colleagues discovered more specimens of this species a few years ago in Japanese waters and named it 竜宮桜ヒトデ aka the "deep-sea cherry blossom starfish". The english name was more like "Pumpkin Starfish" But cultural differences, dontcha know...

Today, one of my Japanese colleagues emails me THIS ad for a new series of Japanese "candy toys" aka gashapon. I've discussed how the Japanese LOVE their little, highly detailed toys (here)..

This series is entitled "Deep-sea Sushi"and features various deep-sea animals on little sushi rice things...

The series includes, from left to right:

1. The Dumbo octopus aka Opisthoteuthis californiana
2. the Giant isopod, Bathynomus, probably B. giganteus aka ダイオウグソクムシ(大王具足虫). Read more about the Japanese obsession with giant isopods here.
3. The big deep-sea Oarfish
4. The Anglerfish.
5. Blobfish.

....and 6: ASTROSARKUS IDIPII!!  SOMEONE IS GOING TO MAKE A TOY OUT OF A STARFISH I DESCRIBED!!

I had no idea this was being done and I certainly am not getting any money for this. I'm going to have to buy this set if I want one.. I'm not even entirely sure who makes them. 

Weird day. 

2 comments:

Kenna Wickman said...

You might be able to order these from these folks. Or maybe on Amazon eventually. See http://www.re-ment.co.jp/products/capsule_shinkaigyozushi/index.html

ChrisM said...

thanks!